Welcome

WELCOME !!!!!!

Please take a look and offer any comments you might have. You can leave comments here, or email me: byhaugh1@mac.com

Thank You,
Byron

Saturday, January 22, 2011

CDC and Elk Designed by Hans Weilenmann



























I have never met Hans in person, but I have been in occasional internet contact with him ever since he put me in contact with Lawrence Waldron to acquire one of Lawrence's LAW vises over 15 years ago. Hans was also kind enough to put some of my flies on his famous "Flytier's Page" web page: Danica.com/FLYTIER/.

Contact with Hans usually occurs when I ask him for help in trying to improve my photography of flies. He is recognized as perhaps the best in the field.

Hans developed the CDC and Elk pattern a number of years ago and it is quite popular. It is sort of a misnomer as the wing material is actually deer hair. However, I believe it was so named as it is a variation on Al Troth's Elk Hair pattern - thus the name "Elk" remains........

Anyway, not sure if my tying does his fly justice, but here is my version of his fly. My CDC has plumes shorter than those used by Hans, I believe. The first two photos have the pronounced head - more like those tied by Hans. The bottom has a shorter head - more my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment