Welcome

WELCOME !!!!!!

Please take a look and offer any comments you might have. You can leave comments here, or email me: byhaugh1@mac.com

Thank You,
Byron

Friday, November 19, 2010

My Fascination with Dubbing Loop Hackle

I really enjoy tying flies and hackling flies with different materials using a dubbing loop and spinning it to create "hackle".

This particular fly is a Pale Morning Dun. The color may not be exactly right in the photo, but it is in "real life".

In this case, the hackling material is Zelon which is a wonderful material. I did a little internet searching on Zelon and find that it was made by DuPont, but their entire supply was purchased by Umpqua and Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. I got mine from Blue Ribbon Flies. Zelon is a shiny material which does not "mat" like most other fibers. Thus, it is used as the shuck on the sparkle comparaduns. If it matted, it would not float so well.

In case you aren't familar with this method: You simply form a thread dubbing loop after reaching the thorax area. Then, cut the Zelon to the appropriate length and spread the fibers in the dubbing loop. Spin the loop until the material forms a "hackle". Then, wrap as you would any hackle.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

1 comment:

  1. That looks interesting. I've heard about this but haven't tried it myself. Might tie up a couple this winter.

    ReplyDelete