Welcome

WELCOME !!!!!!

Please take a look and offer any comments you might have. You can leave comments here, or email me: byhaugh1@mac.com

Thank You,
Byron

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Variant on the Standard Elk Hair Caddis







I became re-enamored with the material Zelon recently. The thought occurred to me that perhaps it might add a little to the standard Elk Hair Caddis pattern. I added a little Zelon as an under-wing to the Elk Hair pattern. I did have an opportunity to try it on the Upper Sacramento River in August. I was fishing a shallow run and there was no insect activity. I used a small stimulator pattern for quite a while trying to induce a strike as the water looked like it must have some trout about.

I had no luck. Finally, I put the fly pictured here on and on the second cast caught a nice brown. Perhaps it would have worked as well without an underwing, but I will do further testing when I have more days on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment